Making Your Own Pasta From Scratch
It can be very rewarding to make your own pasta. It can be a little fiddly, but overall, the recipe isn’t difficult and you will get the hang of making it very quickly.
1 large egg
100g pasta flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the flour and salt. Beat the egg, then mix it into the flour.
- Once well combined, knead the mixture for around 5-10 minutes to form a stiff dough.
- Cover the dough in clingfilm and leave to rest for about half an hour.
- Unwrap the dough and divide it into two. These will be your pasta portions.
- Roll it out, making it as thin as possible. You will want to flour the work surface and rolling pin before you begin. Keep adding more flour as required.
- Alternatively, you can use a pasta machine to make sure the sheets are uniformly thin.
- Cut the pasta into whatever shape you want, e.g. sheets for lasagne, or strips for tagliatelle.
- Cook the pasta for 4-5 minutes in boiling water.