Basic Cooking Equipment for Every Kitchen
There are some basic pieces of equipment which every kitchen would be absent without. It’s often the most simple things which get overlooked during cooking, so ensuring that you have a kitchen which is well equipped with the basics will give you a head-start when making more complicated dishes. Here are some of the basic pieces of equipment that you should consider investing in:
- Knives. Have a set of knives which are various shapes and sizes, with both serrated and smooth blades.
- Mixing bowls. Inevitably, you’re going to need a variety of different sizes. Buy a set of nested bowls for easy storage.
- Pans. Have a set of pans that are different sizes, as well as at least one decent frying pan and a wok.
- Wooden spoons. Buy plenty – they will always be useful!
- Whisks. These are essential for cooking anything which you need to rise. You can use a fork as a last resort, but a whisk will always get the best results.
- Garlic press. Chopping garlic by hand is incredibly frustrating and time consuming. A press will leave you with a smooth paste as opposed to small lumps which won’t cook down much.
- Spatulas. Ensure that you have a variety of shapes and sizes for different dishes. You can use them for icing cakes and baking as well.
- Tin opener. There is no real substitute for one of these so you’ll need to make sure you have one in your kitchen.