Vegetarian Wellington – a Great Idea for Christmas
If you are entertaining a vegetarian this Christmas, or if you just fancy a change, it’s good to be able to cook something fresh rather than relying on shop-bought dishes. Here is an idea for a vegetarian wellington which contains plenty of Christmas flavours:
- Cook 3 onions and 2 cloves of garlic until they are lightly golden. Once they’re almost ready, add in a handful of freshly chopped herbs – sage will provide a very festive flavour.
- Chop a tin of cooked chestnuts and mix with 50g dried cranberries and any other nuts and seeds which you want to include.
- Add in a sprinkling of breadcrumbs before combining the mixture with the onions, garlic and herbs. Mix in one egg to bind.
- On a baking sheet covered with grease-proof paper, lay out one sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry. Spread out the nut mixture down the middle.
- Top it with cheese of your choice. Goats’ cheese is particularly delicious – you’ll need about 150g in total.
- Wrap the pastry around the filling, or try plaiting it for form a lattice if you’re feeling adventurous. It’s not too difficult and there are plenty of video instructions which can be found online.
- Beat one egg and brush it generously over the pastry. Bake at 180° for around 30-40 minutes, until the pastry is a light golden colour.